It started with
CURIOSITY & INTRIGUE TURNED INTO AN OVERNIGHT BUSINESS
I (Laura) have dabbled in various business ventures for over 20 years. After closing my women’s boutique in downtown Colorado Springs, I took a break from business-ownership (or that was the plan). Instead, I wanted to explore the world of writing. I thought it would be fun to go old-school and find a typewriter to use. Not even sure typewriters were still around, a quick search revealed that restored, working typewriters were 1. GORGEOUS and 2. Crazy expensive.
Being an entrepreneur and a hopeless DIY-er, I gave my resourceful husband, Rob, the task of hunting for old typewriters since he worked for a large thrift-store chain while I searched local ads. Finding several options, we both wondered what would happen if we tried to fix a few – just for fun – and see if anyone else wanted a typewriter. At the very least I figured I could start a collection or, even better, we could have a little side hustle.
What happened next shocked us both…
- We painted and fixed up our first typewriter and it sold before we even listed it on our new Etsy shop.
- Within a week, we sold 3 more
- 2 years later and we have repaired and sold nearly 500 typewriters as a “side hustle”!
ROB & LAURA
WHO WE ARE
I’m Laura. The one on the front end of everything. I handle the marketing, product listing, videos, website, social media, talking to customers, and paying the bills. Rob is the handy one. He scours the nation for typewriter deals then repairs and/or paints. We make a good team and love having a business we can do together!
For me, HOW I operate our business is extremely important. I think about what type of experience would I want if I was my own customer. As a result, most of our customers are thrilled with their purchases and experience – which makes us happy!
- We make Typing Tutorial videos for every typewriter
- We do our best to accurately describe the condition of the machine
- You have 3 days to try it out or return it
- Optional 6-month warranty
- We reply quickly to requests and questions